Skip to main content

Get Dressed- Not Stressed: A Photographers guide to shopping for family photos.

   The other day, at a playgroup, another mom told me the reason she does not get family photos done.

                                 "I just don't know how to dress my family." 

   That is something I never really struggled with so I'm not going to lie- I could not even imagine holding off on capturing special memories simply for the inability to choose outfits. But that conversation really opened my eyes. This is something that a lot of moms and dads struggle with. So many want those pinterest perfect family portraits and don't want to ruin that by choosing the wrong clothing. I promise though- It's not as daunting as it may seem. With just a few tips I am hoping I can make family portraits something to look forward to instead of something to dread shopping for. 




   #1- Coordinate, don't match. 

    The first thing that comes to a lot of peoples minds, especially in the older generations, is that everyone should match. You know those childhood photos I am talking about where you and all of your cousins wore solid matching shirts in one color, and jeans on the bottom? That's what I am talking about. Matching won't give your photo any interest. You will simply see a big blob of one color smooshed together. Instead of matching, coordinate a palette. Pinterest is a wonderful resource to use for color palette inspiration, but if you'd like to start from scratch, here are two very simple types of color schemes that can help you out. 

Monochromatic-
  This is a very simple color scheme to use. All of the colors are of a single tint, shade, or hue. This can be a very simple yet effective way to coordinate outfits. Pair that color up with a few great neutrals (White, cream, browns, greys ect) and you have yourself a perfect selection of outfits. Sticking with lighter colors will keep the scheme from becoming too overpowering. Blues and pinks work wonderfully for a Monochromatic scheme. 





Complimentary- 
   This scheme is achieved by grabbing two colors on the opposite side of the color wheel and using hues, shades, and tints of both of those colors. This is a great way to coordinate so everything flows together without actually matching. 


    #2- Mix it up!

When you find a color scheme that you love, you want to avoid keeping one color on top and one on the bottom. Instead mix it up. It will help the viewers eye moving through the entire photo and helps to break up large areas of single colors. Let's just take blue for instance. While mom maybe wears a blue top, you can break it up by dad wearing blue shorts/pants and a different colored shirt and a child wearing that color undershirt with a neutral over top. 


With this set of family portraits, we used a complementary color scheme with different shades of blue and orange/yellow. We broke up the yellow portions by making sure we were careful about where we placed them. Instead of a chunk of us all wearing yellow tops, we found creative ways to bring the yellow in with cardigans, shorts, skirts, and tops! I try not to put any two people in the same exact combo. 

#3- Pick one statement or pattern piece

   This is my favorite thing to do for my own family photos. While generally crazy prints are something we want to avoid- this is a great way to incorporate a great print into your family photos. Pick a single statement piece to start and work off of the colors on that piece. For my own family photos I found this men's button-down from Target that I instantly knew I had to get for my husband and we worked from there. 

photo by Brandalin C. Photography
Sometimes it's easier to start with mom, because- we can all admit- we know who is doing all the shopping. However, just finding one piece you love is key. It could be that outfit for your child you've had in the back of the closet that your Great Aunt Sally hand made for you, but you've never had an opportunity to put them in- or even just something you picked up off a rack because you absolutely loved it and just never got around to wearing. Think about layering to help add more interest and flowy silhouettes to add movement.



#4- Be comfortable in what you are wearing

   To me, the single most important thing is to be comfortable in what you are wearing. If it's totally not "you"- don't force it. Make sure everything fits well from all angles and pick flattering silhouettes- especially in dresses.  The better you feel in what you are wearing, the more you will like the way you look in your photos. 

#5- Have fun shopping

   Take a day or a night and try to go shopping without the kids. With so many awesome return policies, it's very easy to have them try on a bunch of stuff at home instead of dragging everyone out.  

Here are some great places to shop for great pieces for your session.

Amazon.com - Maybe an obvious choice, but amazon has great deals and very affordable options. Make sure to read reviews, especially on knock off brands and brands shipping from other countries.

Target- Target is very high on my list because they have a little something for everyone. While their women's dept is turning a little more trendy lately, their men's department has really stepped up their game. The Goodfellow brand has some great button ups for men that not only come in beautiful colors and patterns but they also come in Big and Tall sizes. 

H & M- I have found that I love H & M for kids options. They carry so many basics, and I never have to much trouble finding something in the colors I am looking for. Their clothing looks more high end but yet still affordable. They also carry plenty of staples and layering items for mom and dad as well. 

Forever 21- I know that most moms don't think to shop there, but hear me out- their maxi dresses and skirts can be great additions to your photos. They tend to carry a lot of flowy options at VERY affordable price points. The mustard skirt in many of the photos above was a Forever 21 find that I still wear very regularly. 

Lulu's- If you are looking for something that will 100% make a statement, look no further than Lulu's maxi dress section. Their fabrics and silhouettes are beautiful and you will have no problem finding some amazing dresses that will have movement and make for amazing photos. 

Pink Blush- A great option for pregnant mamas is Pink Blush. They have so many cute maternity options from formal to casual and everything in between. 

Old Navy- Old navy carries a lot of basics that can help pull together those final pieces. They also have a great selection of accessories to help pull the entire look together.

    I am hoping by the end of this you feel that you may just have the tools to be able to shop for your next session. I want every mom to be able to book a session without the fear that they won't be able to put together a solid plan for their wardrobe. Clothing choices can make or break a photo session- but it should never stand in the way of capturing beautiful memories with your loved ones. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sarah & Mike- The mountain peak proposal

   My husband and I have started a bucket list. We want to make it to all the National Parks in our life. We started off with our first being Arches National Park on the way from California to our newest home in Maryland. We knew we wanted to knock out the majority of the East Coast parks while we are living here for the next few years. Our first one? Shenandoah National Park. Now, I'll admit that I had never actually heard of this park, but our very first trip was breathtaking. I was and still am in awe of that park. Our very first trip there, we were joined by some lifelong friends of my husband who live in Virginia Beach. We decided it was a perfect middle point to meet for a day of hiking.    Being surrounded by the beautiful scenery, waterfalls, mountains, and fauna, I obviously knew I needed to shoot here. Who else to shoot than the couple that accompanied us to the park the very first time. After mentioning the idea to Sarah and getting the okay from Mike- we set in mot

A Chillicothe Farm Wedding- Mr. & Mrs. Nowack

      I always make a huge effort to get to know my couples especially before their weddings. This time around it was no effort at all. I met Sarah and Mike through my husband, years ago. When we lived in Maryland, they were in Virgina and we were able to finally meet up more often! During that time, I came became their personal photographer. Every time one of us had an idea, we would message the other and meet up for another photoshoot. I even shot their Mountaintop proposal in Shenandoah! So when they asked me to shoot their wedding, it was a no brainer!      The wedding day started out at a beautiful rental home  The Maybee Mansion . It is an absolutely beautifully restored 1919 Craftsman home in Chillicothe, MO. I was mesmerized by all the hardwood- it's my weakness. I was able to use the wooden door frames, the beautiful wooden entry, and even just the floors to do plenty of detail photos before everyone got ready for the day. We even did a few "before the gown" sho

7 baby gifts sure to be a new parents favorite

     Baby showers are a great way for new parents to not only celebrate a new addition but also a great way for new parents to receive the things they need for their baby. However, sometimes those baby showers end up with them receiving way to many of the same things. I have complied a list of my favorite unique gifts that are not bound to be repeats.   As many of you know, I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl back in January. Since that time we have bought and worked with so many small shops and also found a few treasures in big box stores that we absolutely love. Each one of these gifts are either regularly used in our home or will be saved for years! I do not profit from these recommendations at all- just simply things that I love and want to share! 1. Swaddles and Baby gowns from Scallywag Baby Co      I know what you are thinking- You have a million blankets. but these swaddles are different. They are the absolute first thing I reach for everytime I need a blanket, a