Skip to main content

From the beginning- My very first blog post

    About 4 years ago, I was kind of "lost". I didn't really have a direction in where I was headed in life- but I was working long hours in a retail job and hating almost every minute of it. Let's start with high school. I will admit, I am not someone who is very "smart" in a traditional school sense. Core subjects were very difficult for me and I struggled to keep up in the majority of my classes. I worked A LOT- way more than any high schooler with a full load of classes should. But creative outlets have always been my strong suit. I filled any openings in my schedules with Choir, theatre, art, design, and any other class I could possibly weasel myself into.
    Out of high school, I didn't know what exactly it was I wanted to do. At that time, I figured the best way to make sure I was financially secure and to whatever I decided (when I did) would be to join the military. Unfortunately, I did not graduate from basic training- which is still a very embarrassing thing for me to even admit to. In 2014, I got married to my husband, who is in the military, and packed up our lives and headed away from our friends and family to Southern Californina. That move to California was really tough for me but it did eventually get me to discover what I truly wanted to do. 
     When I got my first camera it was like it became attached to my hand. I was the stereotypical "fauxtographer" that all photographers know and hate. I offered sessions to learn- went in knowing absolutely no idea in hell what I was doing. But, ya know what? I don't regret it one bit. It got me to realize my love for photography, and I haven't put my camera down since. I've come to realize sense, that I was NOT good. Although, I don't know anyone who picks up a camera for the first time and just gets it right away. However, contrary to popular belief- this is hard work. Photographers not only learn to take full control over their cameras, but also spend hours and hours on training, workshops, tutorials, and hands on learning. It's not just pressing a button. 
2015
    4 years ago, when I picked up that camera and started begging friends to pose for me, I remember thinking how great my photos were. I obviously know now that they were not, but hey- no friend is going to complain about free photos. But I wanted to write this post today mostly to show how far I have come in these 4 years since I did my very first couples session. I remember going into this session all those years back not knowing what the heck I was doing. I know for a fact that I shot this session in AUTO and edited using the application that comes with windows computers. I scheduled this session for mid afternoon- which is basically the #1 on the list of when NOT to shoot.  
2015

     
2015

     Don't feel bad- I cringed too. I know, they are bad now. 


    But with this anniversary of "starting" as a photographer coming up, I have seen how much I have grown. I think I can officially count myself out of the fauxtographer group. I have continued learning and keep doing so every single day. I am now a legal, tax-paying owner of my very own business and for the first time I know what exactly I want to do! This is it. I want to create beautiful art. I have found that outlet for my creativity that I have always striven for, I know I get to do that- as my job!
Now, 4 years after that very amateur session from above- I have learned to create sessions like these.
2019


2019

2019
To finish off my VERY FIRST blog post- I just wanted to thank every single person who has helped, encouraged, and inspired me to get to where I am. I know looking into the future that I will be able to go so much farther with the community I have around me.

Thank you for following in my greatest adventures-
Maria

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Chillicothe Farm Wedding- Mr. & Mrs. Nowack

      I always make a huge effort to get to know my couples especially before their weddings. This time around it was no effort at all. I met Sarah and Mike through my husband, years ago. When we lived in Maryland, they were in Virgina and we were able to finally meet up more often! During that time, I came became their personal photographer. Every time one of us had an idea, we would message the other and meet up for another photoshoot. I even shot their Mountaintop proposal in Shenandoah! So when they asked me to shoot their wedding, it was a no brainer!      The wedding day started out at a beautiful rental home  The Maybee Mansion . It is an absolutely beautifully restored 1919 Craftsman home in Chillicothe, MO. I was mesmerized by all the hardwood- it's my weakness. I was able to use the wooden door frames, the beautiful wooden entry, and even just the floors to do plenty of detail photos before everyone got ready for the day. We even did a few "before the gown" sho

7 baby gifts sure to be a new parents favorite

     Baby showers are a great way for new parents to not only celebrate a new addition but also a great way for new parents to receive the things they need for their baby. However, sometimes those baby showers end up with them receiving way to many of the same things. I have complied a list of my favorite unique gifts that are not bound to be repeats.   As many of you know, I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl back in January. Since that time we have bought and worked with so many small shops and also found a few treasures in big box stores that we absolutely love. Each one of these gifts are either regularly used in our home or will be saved for years! I do not profit from these recommendations at all- just simply things that I love and want to share! 1. Swaddles and Baby gowns from Scallywag Baby Co      I know what you are thinking- You have a million blankets. but these swaddles are different. They are the absolute first thing I reach for everytime I need a blanket, a

Sarah & Mike- The mountain peak proposal

   My husband and I have started a bucket list. We want to make it to all the National Parks in our life. We started off with our first being Arches National Park on the way from California to our newest home in Maryland. We knew we wanted to knock out the majority of the East Coast parks while we are living here for the next few years. Our first one? Shenandoah National Park. Now, I'll admit that I had never actually heard of this park, but our very first trip was breathtaking. I was and still am in awe of that park. Our very first trip there, we were joined by some lifelong friends of my husband who live in Virginia Beach. We decided it was a perfect middle point to meet for a day of hiking.    Being surrounded by the beautiful scenery, waterfalls, mountains, and fauna, I obviously knew I needed to shoot here. Who else to shoot than the couple that accompanied us to the park the very first time. After mentioning the idea to Sarah and getting the okay from Mike- we set in mot